Friday, November 30, 2012

Contender for the Oscars--Life of Pi movie

I saw the 2-D movie version of "Life of Pi" recently; correction, I saw the movie version of "Life of Pi" twice within 2 days recently! This was a great movie, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The plot was original, captivating, and amazingly enough--believeable.

Martel's story is truly an allegory with a plot both literal and spiritual. Nevertheless, both "plots" demand your attention and your considerable thought afterwards as you try to make sense of the experience you've just been through. Besides the story being a moving and intense one, the photography, visual imagery and special effects of the movie are a wonder unto themselves. I was unable to tell when digital effects were being injected, and the mastery of the cinematography kept me in suspense.

The acting, directing, and cinematography were all superb. I cannot say enough good things about this movie. I will say that I may go back and see it in 3-D next time. I can imagine this format will be as compelling as the 2-D, unless it makes me so seasick that I can't watch it!
I do plan on reading the book as well. Here's the link in our catalog--click here.


I want to see what the differences are between experiencing "Life of Pi" as a movie as opposed to reading it. "Life of Pi" is the winner of the 2002 Man Booker Prize, and you can read some reviews about it by clicking on the following links:

New York Times book review

Goodreads review

Review of books

And here's a link to the Internet Movie database for a review and other information about the movie:

Internet Movie database

My advice? GO SEE IT!! You will not be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment